Oswego County Hospice Program
Oswego County Hospice is a dedicated interdisciplinary team that provides comprehensive supportive services to patients and their families at the end of life and throughout the grieving process. We are committed to promoting the highest quality of living for each family, according to their personal beliefs and choices.
Oswego County Hospice offers a comprehensive program of home care for terminally ill persons who are no longer receiving aggressive or curative medical care. The goals of hospice are to promote optimum comfort and a personal sense of control with a focus on the quality of life. The hospice program also offers an opportunity for personal and spiritual healing. Oswego County Hospice honors each individual´s belief system.
- Patient lives in the geographic service area of Oswego County.
- Patients with a life-limited illness with a life-expectancy of less than six months.
- Patient and physician agree to symptomatic management, supportive care (no aggressive chemo or life support machines, etc.).
- Family or significant others agree to primary caregivers in the home, and take responsibility to arrange for, or provide patient care 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. The hospice team will support, educate and assist the family in caring for the patient.
- Would rather remain at home throughout the duration of your terminal illness
- Want your medical treatment to focus on comfort
- Need to keep pain or other physical symptoms under control
- Need assistance with personal care and grooming
- Want support for yourself and significant persons in your life
- Need the availability of professional support and guidance, day or night
- Would like professional support to assist you in coordinating needed services
The hospice program is primarily a service delivered in the home by a team of professionals and volunteers. They include:
- Nursing, including on-call services after-hours, weekends, and holidays
- Medical Social Work/Psychosocial
- Spiritual Counseling/Pastoral care
- Home Health Care Aids
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy
- Dietary Consultation
- Bereavement Support for Family/Caregivers
- Medications and Medical Supplies related to the terminal illness
Becky Miller, RN, BSN, SPHN, Hospice Supervisor
Hospice and Palliative Care Association of New York State